assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel

Multi-pass shaders

• Hi,

Please can someone confirm whether Isadora can work with multi-pass shaders. If this is currently not possible is there a work around?

Many thanks!

Simon

• Beta Gold

@Paz unfortunately not working for now... I guess the solution would be to rewrite the shader so it doesn't use multi-pass.

personally far beyond my skills! :D 

• @Paz,

In theory, one could use a GLSL Shader actor for each "pass." Why don't you send the link to the shader in question and I'll have a go to see if that's true for your example.

Best,
    Mark

• @mark I rather liked this shader: https://www.shadertoy.com/view... its called ReactionDiffusion 5. Unfortunately it comes up with lots of errors. Thanks to a previous post on the forum I have changed "texture" for "texture2D" and "iTime" to "iGlobalTime" which reduces the errors. But it is still not playing ball!

@Maxime I'm still very much a beginner with this code so hopefully Mark will have a workaround.

Best,

Simon

• Dear @Paz and All,

[EDIT: I made some incorrect statements about the iMouse variables meaning in my previous post. There's also a new bit to ensure the same shader code runs well on v2.5.2 and the current internal build. So, all the text between EDIT and /EDIT is new or updated since the original post.]

OK, attached you'll find your wish come true.... the specified multi-pass shader implemented in Isadora.

First I'll tell you that, in our internal beta which has been updated to understand ShaderToy's new format, the various parts of the multi-pass shader compile without errors. So that issue will be solved by the next release, which we're plan to do in November.

Here's the errors that need fixing: ShaderToy added a new variable called 'iFrame' which is a frame counter. It's no recognized by v2.5.2, so I just added the following statement to each shader and generated it manually using a Pulse Generator and a Counter.

// ISADORA_INT_PARAM(iFrame, ifrm, 0, 2147483647, 0, "The current frame number.")
    uniform int iFrame;

That gives us an external integer input to the shader, so we can connect the Counter actor to it.

The only other thing I needed to do was to change the 'texture' keywords to 'texture2D'. (Again, ShaderToy changed this since I first wrote the GLSL Shader actor that accepted ShaderToy code... but this issue is also fixed in our internal beta.)

[EDIT] In ShaderToy, the third and fourth components of the iMouse vector (i.e, Mouse.z and iMouse.w) are the starting position when you do a drag. This is important for this particular shader, as it relies on iMouse.z > 0.0 to signal that the mouse is down. (When the mouse is up, iMouse.z and iMouse.w are zero. The Stage Mouse Watcher Inverted Vert User actor I created for this patch not only outputs the position of the mouse over stage, but sets the starting position of a drag correctly. (Nota Bene: In a previous version of this post, I said that the iMouse.z component was a mouse down input; that was not correct.)

Finally, the patch I made above didn't work in our internal beta because I was redefining the iFrame input. To fix that, I've made a new #define that you can use to test the version of Isadora that is running the shader. So you'll see this addition to the original version of the shaders:

#if !defined(ISADORA_VERSION) || ISADORA_VERSION < 2050409
    // ISADORA_INT_PARAM(iFrame, ifrm, 0, 2147483647, 0, "The current frame number.")
    uniform int iFrame;
    #endif 

The lines in bold above only allow the lines between to be compiled if a) the preprocessor variable ISADORA_VERSION is defined AND (b) the version number given by ISADORA_VERSION is less than 2.5.4b09 (which is the build we're testing internally right now.) You need the first part because ISADORA_VERSION is not defined in earlier versions of Isadora. Anyway, with this #if/#endif block, the same patch runs fine in 2.5.2 and in the build I've got right now.

[/EDIT] 

Anyway, the result works. ;-) So please download it and give it a try.

IMPORTANT: You mouse move the mouse and click over the stage, as this patch uses the Stage Mouse Watcher to allow the patch to sense mouse down/mouse up.

Enjoy,
    Mark

Click this link to download: multi-pass-shader-v2.zip

• @mark many thanks - amazing! Looking forward to the next release.

• Beta Gold

@mark said:

Anyway, the result works. ;-) So please download it and give it a try.

Sorry @mark , am I being really stupid: where do I download it from?
    Thanks
    Mark

• @mark,

Wow!  out of the park!

I was not expecting that - and thanks for tipping on the next release date for v2.6 

Brilliant!

cheers

bonemap

• @mark_m said:

Sorry @mark , am I being really stupid: where do I download it from?

Oops! Forgot to attach it. You'll now see the Isadora patch attached to my post above.

Best Wishes,
    Mark

• @Paz, @bonemap and All,

See my edit to the post with the patch. I made some incorrect assumptions about the meaning of the iMouse.z parameter – see my post for more info. I updated the text and patch once I discovered this. The new (v2) version of the patch can be downloaded above, or by clicking this link: multi-pass-shader-v2.zip

Best Wishes,
    Mark 

• thanks a lot @mark!

your posts explaining the "iframe" process and showing how to use miltipass shaders are really helpfull  and i'm now able to try and use a lot of shaders...

your mouse actor is great too but i have a question: I understand that you used the Stage Mousse Watcher actor to make it, but is there a possible way to get the same result not exclusively inside a stage (i.e.: inside the main display)? or should i have to ask/wait for a new MousseWatcher actor with mousse down/up outputs?

anyway, it's not a huge problem, i've found a way to deal with by using a x/y pad in touch osc and lemur...

• @artoo

You can use the regular Mouse Watcher, but it does not report clicks because those clicks would get "eaten" by the user interface of Isadora. You could substitute a Keyboard Watcher, meaning that the mouse is the x/y position and the Keyboard Watcher simulates the clicks. 

Hope that helps.

Best Wishes,
    Mark

Looks like your connection to TroikaTronix Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.