assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel

! Hardware Experts: opinions, please?

• Tech Staff

@citizenjoe

@DusX testet the Zotac EN1060K and is quite pleased with it. Though if you want more power he would go for a i7 system.

Best Michel

• Tech Staff

@michel said:

i7 system.

I picked one of these up and we have a new Zotac Magnus 1060k arriving in the office this week as well. I'll let you know my findings if you like.

Best wishes,

Woland

• Thank you everyone for your replies.

All the suggested boxes appear to have much the same in the way of video outputs. I'm assuming that I'll use my 2 TH2G's - one Digital and one Display Port - on this machine.
    The i7 Zotak and the MSI also offer an additional HDMI out from the processor: perfect for a control screen.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the 8th gen processor in the MSI box would be a significant upgrade to the 7th gen's in the Zotac boxes? 

None of these boxes have Thunderbolt, as it turns out.... Possibly a deal-breaker? On the other hand, I've not had a machine with it yet!

@mark_mThanks for pointing out the USB 3.1 thing. Good point.

@Michel - thank you; I'm looking at them.

@woland - yes, please!!

• Tech Staff

I have run the i5 Zotac with 5 external displays (via TH2GO) + main.
    Also with 4 via a Datapath X4 + main.
    In both cases it ran well. I did have to be careful about my display orientation/layouts so that I didn't run out of Vram (last projector would drop out)
    the information in this article is key: https://support.troikatronix.c...

Any of these nVidia gtx cards offer great gpu power, but are limited to 4 displays (as reported by the OS)
    Note: since the Zotac has 4 video outputs, you don't gain anything by adding a MST hub (they do not work like a TH2GO or Datapath)

Using the i5 system, I find I have ample cpu power for a standard show (playback and mapping), and have tested also with 2 simultaneous live inputs (and the cpu is OK, ~50% on each core). I also tested,  mapping 360 video to the inside of a sphere, and out to 3X wide 1280 projectors (ran beautifully with full interactive rotation control).
    Of course having more power opens up your creative options.

I don't know the diff between the 7th and 8th gen.. I'm sure it accounts for an increase in power but I don't know how much.

• @citizenjoe

This, for me, is more interesting: two thunderbolt ports, 2 display ports, 2 HDMI ports, apparently you can run 6 x 4K monitors off of it. The reviews are good. I think this'll be the tool for my next touring show.

https://ark.intel.com/products...

• Tech Staff

@mark_m said:

https://ark.intel.com/products...

Stop making me want to buy MORE computers!

Why is this less than $1,000 USD if it can run 6x 4K displays? Seems somehow too good to be true.

• @mark_m - that's brilliant! Thank you.

@Woland - You can never have too many computers, can you? The new 8th gen Intel stuff seems amazing!

Cheers,

Hugh

• @woland said:

@mark_m said:
    Why is this less than $1,000 USD if it can run 6x 4K displays? Seems somehow too good to be true.

And it is (too good to be true) 'cause it's a 'bare bones' system, so on top of the $1000 you have to add RAM and a M2 HDD. Or two. And the OS.
    So with 32GB RAM, 1 x 256GB and 1 x 1TB NVME SSD plus Windows 10, you're taking the price up to about $1500.

But that's beside the point...

Q: Mathematically, what do computers and bicycles have in common?
    A: for both, the formula to give you the correct number to own is n + 1, where n represents the number you own at the moment...

• Tech Staff

@mark_m said:

Q: Mathematically, what do computers and bicycles have in common?A: for both, the formula to give you the correct number to own is n + 1, where n represents the number you own at the moment...

This is hilarious to me due to the fact that I never ride bicycles specifically because I'm too paranoid to do so while carrying my computer(s) (and I'm always carrying at least one computer).

• Tech Staff

@mark_m said:

And it is (too good to be true) 'cause it's a 'bare bones' system, so on top of the $1000 you have to add RAM and a M2 HDD. Or two. And the OS.So with 32GB RAM, 1 x 256GB and 1 x 1TB NVME SSD plus Windows 10, you're taking the price up to about $1500. But that's beside the point...

Still, the bare bones version of the Zotac Magnus 1080k (which can only run four displays without a TH2G or Datapath) that I just got, with Windows 10, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM cost me almost a grand more than the total cost of the other computer + extras. 

*sigh*

• @mark_m @Woland 

I did the same math as you, Lucas, and that's why the Intel is so interesting. That plus the boost (I assume) in performance which I hope is noticeable.

Does anyone have an opinion on this: one of the tech guys I showed the spec's for the Intel machine to said that the Radeon™ RX Vega M GH graphics chip has an M designation which means that it's built for Mobile use. He thought that it might run very hot and affect performance negatively... The spec's specifically state that it's designed for 6 outputs, so I would think that they've taken that into consideration.

His other thought is that it may NOT support analogue video out, specifically VGA. With all the VGA cable and projectors that I have, it's worth considering! I'll see what I can find on this question...

Cheers,

Hugh