assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel

Super Titles

• @Jarporte 

The data array into a text draw actor does just fine for me, reading line-by-line from a text file.  I'm building a show with titles integrated into the design right now, so it gets more complicated playing through scenes, especially as I adapt fonts and text positioning to each character and scene.  But the basic operation is simple. I'll attach a screenshot.

In practice I convert the script to a text file, and read it line by line.  I keep it open when running the show in a coding editor that reads text files, so I can see line numbers.  Best to use a copy of the main file in performance, so you're not reading the same file that isadora is reading, and accidentally alter it. Here I'm using BBEDIT:

• Tech Staff

You don't need to synch Data Array actors between Scenes if you just make a secondary scene with a Read Text From File actor that is attached to a Control Panel. Seems like a much less complicated approach to me.

• Hi All,

I would go for an external application to manage surtitles called Glypheo. It's a free application (mac only) made by the guys from Millumin.

It has native syphon output, can be controlled via OSC/MIDI, and can import word files (with proper encoding).

You can run it in background (with no surface output, just syphon), trigger surtitles via OSC/midi from Isadora or via midi from a controller, use syphon stream into Isadora and map surtitles everywhere you want : http://glypheo.com

Best

Philippe

• Tech Staff

You may be interested in some Javascript I put together a while back. 
    It reads SRT files )very common subtitle format) and converts them to JSON.
    This allows each subtitle to have multiple lines of text (current demo is setup with 3), as well as; start and endtimes etc (as standard in SRT files).
    This version doesn't yet do anything with the start and end time (timecode). This is something I am planning to complete for Isadora 3, since Isadora 3 has wide timecode support.
    The free Aegisub is what I have been using for creating/editing the SRT files. (note rich-text formatting not yet supported either)

The Isadora file is pretty simple to use I think.. the attached demo file and sample srt file should get you started.
    SRT demo.zip

• So I was told how great the community that helps with Isadora was.  I think they short changed you all.  This information has given me multiple ways to solve the issue.  Thank you all so much.

I have made the "readtextfromfile" work and for a NOOB I was pretty excited to make that all happen.  The next thing I know the boss will throw at me is "Can the text fade in and out, like power point?"  

So is that possible?  ok I know it more than likely is.  Which actor do I use.  I have tried a few but they don't seem to do the trick.

Thanks

• Tech Staff

@jarporte said:

The next thing I know the boss will throw at me is "Can the text fade in and out, like power point?"  So is that possible?  ok I know it more than likely is.  Which actor do I use.  I have tried a few but they don't seem to do the trick.

Multiple solutions incoming :)

• @jarporte said:

The next thing I know the boss will throw at me is "Can the text fade in and out, like power point?"  

Resist this!! Persuade the boss it's not a good idea! As an opera goer I notice that what pulls my eye from stage to surtitle is the sudden change of text, sensed in my peripheral vision. If the titles fade in and out one might not see this.

To the best of my memory neither the Royal Opera House or the English National Opera have fades between titles. And if those guys don't know how to do it properly, then who does?!

• @mark_m said:

@jarporte said:To the best of my memory neither the Royal Opera House or the English National Opera have fades between titles. And if those guys don't know how to do it properly, then who does?!

While I may agree with you.  Neither of those companies pay my salary ;).

So if it is possible I do what the boss wishes.

• Tech Staff

@jarporte
    You want to look at 'Envelope Generators' connected to the Opacity (either in the Text Draw, or better yet, the Projector).
    Might be easiest to have 2 Envelope generators, One ramps the Opacity down, say 100->0... then triggers the text/title switch, and the ramp up, say 0->100.

• @dusx That worked perfectly.  Thanks