Important News Regarding Isadora macOS 11 Big Sur Support

• Tech Staff

Important News Regarding Isadora macOS 11 Big Sur Support

Once again we are reaching out with a friendly warning: Please don’t update your macOS just yet.

Apple pushes through new features and frameworks each year, and each year software developers like us are sprinting to the finish line. This cycle unfortunately has a history of introducing compatibility issues with third party products.

We recommend taking a cautious approach to OS updates. We know many Isadora users also rely on third party hardware interfaces for audio and video capture, lighting control and much more. It is important that all tools in your workflow are updated for macOS Big Sur compatibility before you migrate your system and, more importantly, your project files.

We are working hard to ensure full compatibility, and we’ll update you as soon as we feel confident this next Isadora release is show ready. Until then, we encourage you to remain on your current macOS.

Additionally, we also recommend turning off macOS updates to prevent accidental updates:
    • Choose System Preferences > Software Update
    • Uncheck the box labelled Automatically keep my Mac up to date’

Thank you for creating with Isadora. Keep dreaming.

Best Wishes,
    The TroikaTronix Team
  • Tech Staff

Also, if you have an older Mac, steer clear of Big Sur! Big Sur has been bricking late 2013 and mid 2014 13-inch MacBook Pro laptops (link 1, link 2, link 3) and in addition to that "... many older Macs have problems with the Wi-Fi connection after installing macOS Big Sur."

• @dusx several Apps on my Macs are begging for Big Sur. Some won't work properly or at all without the update.(i.e. iPad sidebar) Do you have any idea when Isadora will fully support this stuff? 

• Tech Staff

@martin_kemner said:

<p>@dusx several Apps on my Macs are begging for Big Sur. Some won't work properly or at all without the update.(i.e. iPad sidebar) Do you have any idea when Isadora will fully support this stuff? </p>

It is coming soon.
    Current testing is looking good. Keep your eyes on the forum and social media for release details.

• Beta Platinum

@dusx

I have a student that didn't listen to me and upgraded to Big Sur. So now she can't do anything in my class.
    Is there a possibility that the new version will be released before the end of February? if not I will have to look for an other option for her.

• @gertjanb

That's not on you 

If you are taking an isadora class and you have not understood that importance gosh ....

• Beta Platinum

@shreeswifty

For most of my students who are training to be actors or directors, computers are not here biggest friends. In my class I try to give them an interest of working with new media in there later works. 
    Isadora is my way to let them make beautiful things in a short period of time. 

I don't expect them to know everything about computers so its normal that sometimes they click on a button without really knowing what it does. so if they klick on upgrade they don't always know the consequences. Thats why they are in my class. 

So it can happen that sometimes somebody upgrades.

• @gertjanb said:

I have a student that didn't listen to me and upgraded to Big Sur. So now she can't do anything in my class.Is there a possibility that the new version will be released before the end of February? if not I will have to look for an other option for her.

@Woland -- let's look at getting a copy of the beta to this student so they can work. Please discuss this with Gertjian via email or PM instead of here.

Best Wishes,
    Mark

• @mark

And in perfect Karma i have just received a new IMac Pro with you guessed it, Big Sur on it 

iMac Pro (2017)

10 core doo-dad. I will gladly bug/beta if i can be any help that way 

Patrick

• Tech Staff

@shreeswifty

Send in a ticket using the link in my signature and I'll add you to the beta program.

• @woland

sent!
    pp