Processing to Isadora plugin?

• I find myself writing a lot of processing applications to assist Isadora in various ways and I run them in the background. How far is the jump from a processing application to a Isadora plugin? Is it similar in terms of libraries and syntax? If processing and arduino are my main IDEs, will that knowledge apply in the SDK?

F

• Dear @fubbi,

I really don't know how hard it would be to create a Processing plugin. But I imagine it would be a relatively major effort.
    Best Wishes,
    Mark

• Tech Staff

@fubbi 
    Ardunio's syntax is based on C,

Processing is based on Java.
    Both have been simplified.
    The Isadora SDK is C++ based. So its object oriented like Java, with a C type syntax. If you are thinking to create plugins for izzy instead of processing patches, it is probably possible, but the libraries will be completely different. I would suggest you spend some time learning C++ first.

• Tech Staff

What I love most in Isadora, that I dont have to learn all these languages ;-)

• I Agree with DusX..

Spend some time to learn C++ with for example OpenFrameworks and their tutorials then make your first Isadora plugin.
    Be slightly aware that the structure of a plugin is event based while OF and processing are loop based.
    This being said... I once started in PHP, then learned Processing and then after a some time I learned Open Frameworks and some more time after that made my first couple of Isadora Plugins last year.. So it is doable... 
    Greetings,
    Machiel

Looks like your connection to TroikaTronix Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.