OK, It seems that I did something that's blocking a couple Spout feeds, when the On-Off of the NDI features is set off. So make sure NDI is checked, restart the app, and test for the Spout feeds you need. There isn't much overhead until you turn on the NDI feeds individually, so it should be fine.. I have the fix working in my local build so I will push out a fix to github as a new release in the next day or so.
Thank you for your patience while awaiting my response to this thread. I am always juggling priorities, trying to ensure a good balance between solving urgent bugs, making sure things like the High Sierra release doesn't cause serious problems for the entire user base, and adding new features you all want. In that long list of priorities, the I'm afraid the SDK is nearer to the bottom of the list because – historically – it hasn't been utilized by so many. Of course that's not optimum if the SDK is really important to you, but necessary as I attempt to serve the greatest number of users.
The thing that held me back up is Isadora's reliance on QuickTime. We have an internal build of Isadora for Windows that does not use QuickTime at all. But this version is missing some features to replace those lost when divorcing it from QuickTime. I was putting off the SDK hoping that I could release it when this new version was ready, but it's going to take a bit more time before that milestone is reached. (For those of you who don't know, fifteen years ago I used QuickTime as a way to make a cross platform version of Isadora. That may have been clever at the time, but seems less so now, because removing it now is requires widespread, deep changes to the entire program.)
That said, @bonemap's comments here and a recent message sent via the ticket system has prompted me to get something out there. I am going to get the SDK to him first so he can use it for his project and offer any bug reports/feedback. By the middle of October, we'll get it up on github so that everyone can access it.
Also, follow this link to @DusX 's post on a handy way to reduce clutter in your patches. I've been meaning to try it out myself. Maybe not the solution you were looking for, but could help reduce the clutter and therefore make things a bit clearer.
I am looking at the next steps with this prototype. The current application is a specific development for a fellow artist to deliver a cloud around a sculpture with some particle projections and the current prototype will deliver that OK. All the components will be concealed in the sculptures base. Looking further the prototype might progress along the line of the laminar flow of existing vapour screens like this or a dimensional sculptural approach that is for me more interesting to develop like this and I think Isadora can really help with the multi viewpoint display. The next thing is to look at how the vapour/fog flow can be manipulated and to some extent controlled either by fan directed airflow and/or control of fog turbulence using some kind of extruded honeycomb component.
I used isadora control of crestron extensively on a project, but its a while back now. What I do remember is that the software used to control and configure the crestron spits out the command lines in its console, and I copied them from there and sent them via tcp stream. That worked rock solid. Unfortunately I dont have that patch anymore, but it was the way to go.
@Woland Great tip on Fritzing! Thanks, I donated and downloaded... hoping it solves many problems. I'm a bit obsessive about my patches. I find the time it takes to organize usually helps me think about what's next or how what I came up with is either good or not so good.
@jandraka et al thank you for your swift responses the advise has been so valuable.
I purchased an Arduino and touch sensor to try out in our rehearsal this afternoon and I was able to trigger Isadora successfully with this little system. During the workshop we actually decided that this approach was not ideal for the performers to interact with so the Artistic Director has opted for a small i cube x system. Should be with us on Monday to test. I'm sure I'll be back on the forum with new questions very soon 😄
A great day of new learning, thanks Izzy community!
I am at the amazing Schmiede for the coming week, enjoying being surrounded by nearly 300 open hearted, generous media artists.
That said, I'm still doing my thing. The latest addition is a new Background actor. This will allow all of you to create colored area that is below all the actors, helping you to visually organize your patches. In the past, users have often resorted to using the Comment actor to accomplish something similar. But this actor works much better than the Comment actor because 1) it will never be drawn above other actors in the scene, even if it is selected, and 2) if you click on it when making a segmented patch cord, it will not cancel the operation. You can change the color of the Background actor by double clicking the body of the actor.
@Woland offered a very thoughtful list of features that should with the new Cue Number feature I discussed in my previous post. While we probably won't implement everything he mentioned (to avoid the dreaded "feature creep") but we will take everything he said – and anything you all have to add – into consideration as we complete this feature. Please offer your insights and ideas in the thread that @Woland started.