IzzyHue - Control your Philips Hue bulbs with Isadora
Hi there all !
The last few days I worked on a way to control Philips Hue lights using Isadora for an upcoming performance. I got the base functionality working, and I thought let's share the code and perhaps you guys and girls can give me some advice / feedback on the actor :)
How does it work ?
- Get some Philips Hue Color bulbs (I never tested it with strips / or White bulbs etc.. So let me know or it works !)
- Get the IP of your Hue Bridge (2.0, Apple Homekit version) and write it down
- Go to <ip>/debug/clip.html
- Follow the instructions at https://www.developers.meethue...
- Write down your username key, we need that !
- Open Isadora if you haven't already. In this file we find 4 actors. A Master that controls the communication of the Hue, a Brightness actor, a simple switch on/off actor and a Color actor.
- Fill in the IP and the username.
- Find out wich lights are active. What is the Unique ID ? (int) (<ip>/debug/clip.html. Command : /api/<username>/lights, GET)
- Try to turn the lights on/off. To send the information to the bridge trigger the input 'trigger' on one of the actors.
- I'm still working on the feedback from the bridge. It is quite difficult to get a grasp on it .. Because of this I can't close the connection of the Client. This is causing some delay. Currently this is set to 3 seconds.
- The plugin is currently broadcasting the data so that you don't have to connect them. This is something that I normally do. Don't want this behavoir ? Just turn the broadcasting input to off and you will never hear from it again ;)
- The Color correction is not 100% yet. You will see a slight difference in the color in Izzy / the color that the bulb gives.
Bugs / issues / feature request / etc let me know !
Download here : https://github.com/JuriaanGreg...
bonemap last edited by
control Philips Hue lights using Isadora for an upcoming performance
Great! Thanks for sharing. How will you use this in a performance is it to change color of domestic lights in a theatrical set or have you hacked a more technical solution?
Hi there Bonemap,
I'm currently working on a installation where we are translating music for deaf people to other senses. So think about vibration, light, smell, etc. But I can see this working for theatre sets as well ! Saturday we have our first playsession, will collect photo's / etc and create a new thread with more detail :)
@juriaan This set of actors stills seems to work - and it's great. I'm having a problem with the Master resetting the IP address when I change scenes. Do you have any advice. I know the actor set is old though and it might be an Isadora version issue. Thanks - Paul
We'd love it if you'd upload this to the Add-Ons page if you haven't already :)
Fred last edited by
@juriaan I have a quick question, I am thinking about use Hue bulbs for a large light installation, - in your experience how sync are they - I know there is a soft limit of 40 bulbs per gateway for good operation, but inside this limit do you think I can run animations across bulbs and have them react within 40ms together?