assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel
assurance-tunnel

[ANSWERED] Exhibition auto on / off with interrupted power



  • Hi


    I need to run an Isadora patch in an exhibition and could do with advice on tow things:

    - I'm using a Mac Mini and the Preferences>Energy Saver>schedule but the exhibit will loose power over night and the Mac doesn't seem to auto schedule back on if power is lost and reconnected. Does anyone have experience of this and a work around?

    - I've set Isadora to activate 1st Scene and auto display the stage after 3 seconds which works apart from I get the finder menu bar visible in front of the stage which is only resolved by clicking on the stage.


    I'm using Isadora 2.6.1 with Yosemite on a 2010 mac mini.


    Thanks

    Simon


  • Tech Staff

    @simon

    First to have Isadora be the most front application you should use this apple script ( IzzyApplicationFocus.zip ). So instead of putting the Isadora file in "start up items" of the Mac put the script there. In Isadora you then go to the preference settings and activate "open most recent file" and "activate 1st Scene and auto display the stage after 3 seconds" as you did already.

    On the Mac side I am not sure if this would help, but did you also enable "Auto Startup After Power Failure" ? 

    The app InstaFigurator will also help you setup your Mac for Installations.

    Best Michel



  • @Michel thanks for this, I'll use the apple script.

    Unfortunately I've still not found a solution to the mac scheduling on and off when power is switched off each evening. The Auto start up after power failure works but I don't think the mac mini would last 6 months of having the power switched off without it shutting down. @Skulpture I came across your post about museum installations have you had this problem or are all your macs powered over night?



  • It sounds like the if I set the Mac Mini to hibernate mode the drive will spin down and it would be okay to pull the power to the mac mini each night and then using auto start up after power loss to restart it when the power is switched on in the morning.


  • Tech Staff

    @simon

    Sounds interesting, please report back if this worked for you.

    Best Michel


  • Tech Staff

    @simon said:

    @Michel thanks for this, I'll use the apple script.

    Unfortunately I've still not found a solution to the mac scheduling on and off when power is switched off each evening. The Auto start up after power failure works but I don't think the mac mini would last 6 months of having the power switched off without it shutting down. @Skulpture I came across your post about museum installations have you had this problem or are all your macs powered over night?

     Hi.

    I had two mac minis doing exactly that for over a year. Once or twice I had to fix them when it was unplugged by cleaners or third party external companies (such as PAT testers) but they were pretty stable to be honest. 


  • Tech Staff

    @simon said:

    It sounds like the if I set the Mac Mini to hibernate mode the drive will spin down and it would be okay to pull the power to the mac mini each night and then using auto start up after power loss to restart it when the power is switched on in the morning.


     But yes you are right with this also. 


  • Tech Staff

    @michel said:

    First to have Isadora be the most front application you should use this apple script ( IzzyApplicationFocus.zip ). So instead of putting the Isadora file in "start up items" of the Mac put the script there. In Isadora you then go to the preference settings and activate "open most recent file" and "activate 1st Scene and auto display the stage after 3 seconds" as you did already. On the Mac side I am not sure if this would help, but did you also enable "Auto Startup After Power Failure" ?  The app InstaFigurator will also help you setup your Mac for Installations.


    @simon said:

    Unfortunately I've still not found a solution to the mac scheduling on and off when power is switched off each evening. The Auto start up after power failure works but I don't think the mac mini would last 6 months of having the power switched off without it shutting down. @ Skulpture I came across your post about museum installations have you had this problem or are all your macs powered over night?

    It sounds like the if I set the Mac Mini to hibernate mode the drive will spin down and it would be okay to pull the power to the mac mini each night and then using auto start up after power loss to restart it when the power is switched on in the morning.



    @Skulpture said:

    I had two mac minis doing exactly that for over a year. Once or twice I had to fix them when it was unplugged by cleaners or third party external companies (such as PAT testers) but they were pretty stable to be honest. 

    @ simon said:

    It sounds like the if I set the Mac Mini to hibernate mode the drive will spin down and it would be okay to pull the power to the mac mini each night and then using auto start up after power loss to restart it when the power is switched on in the morning.

     But yes you are right with this also. 



    @mc_monte 

    Do we already have a support article about this? If not, it might be good to take this info and at least put it into a non-public draft to finish later.