[LOGGED] media bin locks
media bins lock
I'm wondering if there is any benefit in having an option for locked/unlocked media bins. Once in a while I find myself tracking down issues related to content removed from the wrong bin.
here is a mock-up. (I realize I used the wrong icons)
I like the idea, but I'm not sure how it would work in co-operation with the 'Auto Adjust Media Numbers' control.
Since all numbers are sequential for a media type, if you had 2 Video bins, locked the second and had Auto Adjust active, what would the behavior be if you added more media to Bin 1, or Deleted it.
Normally, with Auto Adjust on, the numbering would be shifted, and any media players using these numbers would be updated.
With Bin 2 locked, you would expect the numbers wouldn't change, so you might then end up with new media being added that either gets a number already assigned in Bin 2, or needs a number beyond those assigned in Bin 2.
I think we need to look first at how to provide individual addressing of media, at least using the Bin as part of the path. Then we will have much more flexibility in these regards.
Locking/unlocking bins does not need to change any of the current functionality. It only locks a user/UX from adding/removing media to specific bins. It would not be different from locking a document but maybe add access to a specific bin
- if media is removed from a lower count bin the locked bin will have the numbers readjusted.
- auto-adjust will address the media in the same way it has done so far
- using lower/higher number bins for static/dynamic media would fall into programming practice but not really changing any current knowledge base.
"Get media index" actor provides an existing logic and mechanism for how a locked bins can be used.
- Use "get media index" to point to bins.
- "Get media index" overrides "auto adjust media" anyways
- adding or removing media to a lower number bin does not affect get media index.
- It provides a benefit for consistent media in the bin picker control.
- Locking a bin can prompt the user with how it works with get media index actor.
Alternatively, maybe add the option to selectively allow access to the specific bins when adding a password to Isadora document
Thanks for the clear breakdown.
I am adding these details to out feature request list.