Ceiling tracking Research

• Dear all,
    I'm working on a new installation where for the first time I'm going to track the participants movements with a kinect1 in the ceiling.
    During my test, I simulated white dots with After-effects to work in Isadora.
    When One dot appears in the screen, the tracking works well :
    https://vimeo.com/150163225

But if I have 3 dots moving in the same or opposite directions it becomes a mess :
    https://vimeo.com/150163224
    When 2 dots come close to each other they get the same colour even if they move in opposite directions

I was wondering if there was a way to fine tune the Eyes ++ for a better result?
    Or does anybody have hands on experience on this?

Here's an image of my setup.

Thank you for your help.
    86b278-ceilingtracking.jpg

• Tech Staff

@David

This is one where you have to play around with "same max dist" and "same area change".

If you set either of them to a high value they are basically disabled. Try to set "same area change" to 100 to disable it and start with a value of 5 for the "same max dist" and see what is happening.

Best Michel

• Hi @Michel,
    thank you so much for your feedback. I'm going to try this.
    Thank you!
    All the best.

David

• Tech Staff

If you are using a kinect are you using the depth map image to get the tracking? Or are you using a third party software such as ni-mate?

• Mmmm... if doing the dots out of Isadora, e.g.: with Processing or something more tweakable, then you can make the presence/individuality of dots depth-dependant as well as x / y dependant, and just send over the x/y co-ords to Isadora via OSC for rendering the effect...

At the moment, working with an AE render, the issue is presenting itself regardless in 2D,but see whether it makes a difference by giving each of your particle renderers a different z translation (10 / 20 / 30 for instance)... if that corrects the issue then tracking z for each blob from the kinect and mapping it to z translate of the particle actors would probs also resolve the issue (??)

• @Skulpture I'm using a Demo version of CocoKinect developped by Rob Sharein.
    It turnes the spectator into red filled form.

@Marci, thank you! Pretty clever! I'm not good at processing yet. But I'll see how to implement these ideas.

Looks like your connection to TroikaTronix Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.